1. Cut eggplant into slices 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
2. Add olive oil to large skillet to 1/4-inch depth. Heat on medium heat until hot.
3. Combine eggs and water in a shallow container. Place 4 cups of the seasoned breadcrumbs on a flat plate. Dip sliced eggplant into the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture. Fry eggplant until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
4. Preheat standard oven to 350°F.
5. Evenly space the 4 largest eggplant slices on bottom of one-third hotel pan. Spread 1/4 cup of the Tomato Sauce* and 1 tsp. of basil over each slice. Top each with 1 slice of mozzarella, 3 slices pepperoni and 1 tsp. grated Parmigiano.
6. Place smaller eggplant slices over those in pan. Repeat layering of sauce, basil, Mozzarella, pepperoni and Parmigiano until all ingredients have been used. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs over top of the eggplant dish.
7. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and crumbs are light golden brown.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 696; Total Fat 38g;
Saturated Fat 16g; Trans Fat 0; Cholesterol 167mg; Sodium 2060mg;
Total Carbohydrate 59g; Dietary Fiber 8g; Total Sugars 10g; Protein 32g
*Basic Tomato Sauce:
1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in 5-qt. saucepan on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and light golden brown.
2. Add carrot and thyme. Cook 5 minutes or until carrot is soft. Add tomatoes and juice. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, on medium 20 minutes.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use. Sauce will keep up to 5 days.
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 160; Total Fat 9g; Saturated Fat g; Trans Fat 0; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 570mg;
Total Carbohydrate 16g; Dietary Fiber 3g; Total Sugars 9g; Protein 3g