8 trout (about 10 oz. each), cleaned and boned, leaving head and tail intact
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup olive oil
Fresh sage sprigs
1. Cook 8 slices of the bacon on medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels; crumble. Place in bowl; toss with sage; set aside.
2. Cook the remaining 16 slices of bacon until just translucent and the edges begin to curl. Remove and drain on paper towels; set aside.
3. Preheat convection oven to 350°F.
4. Rinse trout under cold water; pat inside and out dry. Sprinkle the cavity of each with one eighth of the crumbled bacon mixture. Wrap 2 whole bacon slices around each, securing bacon and cavity with wooden picks.
5. Coat fish completely with cornmeal; shake off excess.
6. Heat the skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil, and heat until it is hot but not smoking. Fry trout 3 minutes per side or until firm and the bacon is golden brown. Transfer to full sheet pan.
7. Bake 5 minutes, or until fish flake when pierced with a fork and are heated through. Discard wooden picks,
8. Portion 1 fish per plate. Garnish with fresh sage sprigs and a lemon wedge, and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 828; Total Fat 52g; Saturated Fat 15g;