8 thin slices country or Serrano ham OR prosciutto
For the Aioli (Makes 1/2 cup)
1 large egg yolk
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat grill to medium-high.
2. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Juice lemon into water; add rind. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise; remove chokes by scraping with a small spoon. Add artichokes to water. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until hearts are easily pierced with a sharp knife. Drain and cool.
3. Drizzle artichokes with oil. Grill 4 to 5 minutes, turning, until lightly charred and caramelized on all sides.
4. Meanwhile, for the aioli, whisk egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and oregano. Slowly whisk in oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified.
5. Arrange 2 slices ham on each plate; top with 1 artichoke half. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. aioli and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 589; Total Fat 41g; Saturated Fat 7g;