24 asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
12 oz. uncooked fettuccine
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded, julienned
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup diced country ham
Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring carrot in water to cover in large pot on medium-high to a boil. Cook 4 minutes. Remove carrot from water using a slotted spoon; set aside.
2. Add asparagus to same pot of boiling water. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Using slotted spoon, remove asparagus pieces using a slotted spoon; set aside.
3. Add pasta to same pot of boiling water. Cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta. Return to pot.
4. Meanwhile, sauté leeks and pepper in oil in large skillet on medium-high heat 2 minutes. Add cream; reduce heat to medium. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese and country ham. Stir in carrots and asparagus.
5. Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat evenly. Heat through. Divide pasta evenly among 4 plates. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 864; Total Fat 57g;
Saturated Fat 33g; Trans Fat 1g; Cholesterol 271mg; Sodium 1122mg;
Total Carbohydrate 60g; Dietary Fiber 6g; Total Sugars 5g; Protein 29g