1-1/4 lb. asparagus, trimmed, diagonally cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups shelled fresh green peas, blanched 1 minute in boiling water OR frozen peas (do not thaw)
1 bunch thinly sliced green onions, white and pale green parts separated from dark green parts
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade, divided
Additional Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
2. Meanwhile, cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tsp. drippings from skillet.
3. Add asparagus to skillet. Sauté 3 minutes. Add peas, white and pale green parts of green onions, and garlic. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
4. Add vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, dark green parts of green onions, Parmesan, cream, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, half of parsley and half of basil to pasta. Toss, adding more cooking liquid if needed.
5. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with pancetta, and remaining parsley and basil
6. Divide evenly between 4 plates. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 486; Total Fat 21g; Saturated Fat 8g;