Balsamic and Dijon Glazed Ham with Roasted Pearl Onions
2 lb. unpeeled pearl onions
One half fully cooked ham shank (8 to 10 lb.), fat trimmed to 1/2-inch thickness
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
5 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup butter, diced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Cook onions in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes; drain. Trim root ends, leaving base intact. Peel; set aside. (Onions can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.)
2. Preheat standard oven to 325°F.
3. Line large roasting pan with foil. Score ham in diamond pattern, making 1/2-inch-deep slits. Place ham in pan; roast 45 minutes.
4. Combine sugar, vinegar and mustard in bowl for glaze. Place onions on half sheet pan. Add 2/3 cup glaze, butter, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water; toss to coat. Cover with foil. Place onions in oven with ham; roast ham and onions 25 minutes. Uncover onions. Continue roasting onions and ham 60 to 70 minutes, basting ham occasionally with remaining glaze, until ham and onions are deep golden brown.
5. Remove ham and onions from oven. Cut ham into slices. Divide ham and onions evenly between 12 plates.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 481; Total Fat 16g; Saturated Fat 6g;