Chopped hearts, livers, and gizzards reserved from chickens (optional)
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 large fresh sage leaves, minced
1 large garlic clove, halved
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup crusts removed cubed country white bread
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 large egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 whole chickens (4 lb. each) rinsed, patted dry
12 thin slices pancetta
3 large bulbs fennel, trimmed, cut into 6 wedges each
1. Preheat standard oven to 400°F.
2. Sauté giblets, if using, onion, carrots, sage and garlic in 4 Tbsp. of the butter in large skillet on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add wine; simmer until evaporated, scraping up browned bits. Remove from heat. Stir in bread, walnuts, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
3. Spoon stuffing into cavities of chickens. Rub each chicken with 2 Tbsp. of the remaining butter. Place in full hotel pan. Lay 6 pancetta slices over each chicken to cover. Surround with fennel.
4. Roast chickens 45 minutes. Turn fennel over. Baste with pan juices. Roast an additional 30 minutes or until chickens are golden and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F and stuffing reaches 165°F. Transfer chickens and fennel to platter. Let rest 10 minutes.
5. Divide chickens and stuffing equally among 8 plates. Serve with pan juices.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 768; Total Fat 51g; Saturated Fat 18g;