Salad of Grilled Asparagus with Taleggio Cheese and Serrano Ham
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 lb. trimmed asparagus spears
6 slices (each 1/4-inch thick) Taleggio OR Fontina cheese
5 oz. mixed baby greens
6 thin slices Serrano ham OR prosciutto, cut in half
3 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
1. Preheat grill to medium heat; preheat standard oven to 425°F.
2. Whisk vinegar, shallot and sugar until sugar dissolves. Gradually whisk in oil.
3. Drizzle asparagus with 2 Tbsp. of the oil mixture. Grill 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Remove to half sheet pan. Drizzle with an additional 1/3 cup oil mixture. Top with cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
4. Meanwhile, place greens in large bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of the oil mixture.
5. Evenly divide asparagus among 6 plates. Arrange greens alongside of asparagus. Place ham over greens. Sprinkle pine nuts over salads. Serve with remaining dressing.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 653; Total Fat 59g; Saturated Fat 17g;